John C. Harsanyi Chair of Economics,
Research School of Economics, Australian National University
Honorary Professor, School of Economics,
University of Queensland
Microeconomics: Decision theory and Game Theory. In particular: developing theories of rational decision in the presence of uncertainty and/or unawareness; applying non-expected utility theory to games, bargaining and social choice.
- “Decomposable Splits, Coherent Beliefs, and the Ex Ante Optimality of Consistent Plans” (with B. Roorda and J. Yang), December 2021.
- “Delegation and Ambiguity in Correlated Equilibrium” (with R. Stauber), October 2021.
- “Worst- and Best-Case Expected Utility and Ordinal Meta-Utility” (with P. Rich and J. Stecher), April 2021.
- “Testing Hurwicz Expected Utility” (with H. Bleichrodt and J. Yang), December 2020.
- “Strategic Ambiguity in Multi-Stage Games with Almost Perfect Information” (with J. Eichberger and D. Kelsey), March 2020.
- “Learning under Unawareness” (with I. Meneghel and R. Tourky), Economic Theory.
- “Bayes and Hurwicz without Bernoulli” (with P. Rich and J. Stecher), Journal of Economic Theory. 199, 105027, 2022.
- “Testing Dynamic Consistency and Consequentialism Under Ambiguity” (with H. Bleichrodt, J. Eichberger, D. Kelsey, and C. Li), European Economics Review, 134, 1-12, 2021 On line appendix.
- Objective and Subjective Rationality and Decisions with the Best- and Worst-Case in Mind (with P. Rich and J. Stecher), Theory and Decision, 90, 309-320, 2021, (DOI) 10.1007/s11238-020-09777-x
- “Ambiguity and Awareness: A Coherent Multiple Priors Model” (with A. Guerdjikova and John Quiggin), B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, 21(2), 571 – 612, 2021.
- “Costly self-control and limited willpower” (with S-L Hsieh and M-Y Liang), Economic Theory 70, 607-632, 2020. (DOI) 10.1007/s00199-019-01231-6.
- “Contracting under Uncertainty: A Principal-Agent Model with Ambiguity Averse Parties” (with J.J. Kline and J. Quiggin), Games and Economic Behavior, 109, 582-597, 2018.
- “The evolution of awareness” (with J. Quiggin), Journal of Economic Psychology, 63, 86-92, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2017.01.010